Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Favorite Two Questions Models.com Asked French Fashion Stylist Melanie Huynh...



Models.com is one of my favorite sites because they profile some of Fashion's innovators, creators, and image makers. I've posted a few highlights of the Photographers or Stylist they have shined light on as well as my own captures, whose work I appreciated or have admired or just the questions that was asked and the answers that were reciprocated. This one holds close to home because if you didn't know this blog is blogged by me where I style and have assisted stylist's...and highlights my love of fashion, fashion editorial, and all that inspires me to keep on the path of fashion interpreting.

Melanie Huynh's feedback is awesome and aside from her visible fashion work, her fashion style has been taken notice by many. And like she states stylist were always behind the scenes or rarely seen, but now with movements of fashion blogs, reality shows, and curiosity. People want to know the face and style behind the fashion interpretations.

Models.com Beyond Street Style: Melanie Huynh

2. What are your inspirations and the references you always come back to in your work?

I have many references! I can be inspired by a film, a book, a show, etc… but more frequently I find inspiration in a muse or icon. Many women inspire me but I mostly trust my instincts and try to feel the current trends.
I am inspired by influential women who defined their generation: Brigitte Bardot, Catherine Deneuve, Jane Birkin, Romy Schneider, Marilyn Monroe, Kate Moss… and also by the greatest photographer’s vision like Helmut Newton or Guy Bourdin… and from creators like YSL or Chanel.



3. What do you think of the phenomenon of the star-stylists, and the attention that your personal style gets on the street style blogs?

With the democratizing influence of the internet and films like “The devil wears Prada” the biggest designers and editors in chief have become stars, several years ago no one was aware of their work.
Fashion now reaches a large audience and many young girls dream of expressing their ideas and sense of style by working in fashion. It seems to me that being a stylist is perceived as being more accessible than being a model, and especially more influential. Even if fashion shoots are the result of team work, the stylists are defining their own signature style while they were fairly unknown until recently. There are books on the great photographers, makeup artists, hair stylists, but on fashion stylists it is quite rare.

I am quite surprised that I have been part of this phenomenon, even if in a small part. I love fashion and styling, and I am delighted if my personal style is appreciated.

I love the street style blogs and I think they revolutionized the fashion industry, especially the pioneer Scott Schuman. I greatly admire the work of Tommy Ton and Garance Doré.


Image and Questions courtesy of Models.com

1 comment:

Carmen J. Deese said...

That is very useful for the new comer. There is some cool sweatshirts for the men in our collection. There are also many more collections for others to see.